A Computerized Maintenance Management Software (CMMS) is one of the essential tools that most companies and businesses use to run their day-to-day operations. Some of the key reasons, and benefits, of investing in a CMMS software is that these systems help track work orders, manage inventory parts, and also schedule maintenance tasks. This not only helps improve equipment life and performance but also lowers downtimes and overall maintenance costs significantly. You however need to choose the right CMMS system for your company to see positive results.
Although there are plenty of options to choose from when shopping for a CMMS system, many people struggle to identify the best one for their company. A Proper understanding of how these systems work (entry, reporting, administrative and database) is however the key to finding the right software. Some of the vitals you should look out for when shopping for a computerized maintenance management software include.
1. User Interface: The system’s user interface can dictate whether everything will run smoothly, or employees will struggle to use it. You should therefore look for a system with a great user interface and easy to use too. The system also needs to be compatible with the various operating systems on your systems or computers. Most of the computerized management systems out there are however compatible with both Windows and Mackintosh computers.
2. Functions: The software should also be capable of handling all the basic and core functions of a computerized maintenance management system. These include entry, reporting screens, administrative privileges, and database. It would be advisable to test several systems first to see how they function before settling on one. This is the only way anyone can make a more informed decision on a system’s operational functions and capabilities.
3. Database packages offered: CMMS softwares use various databases to store information for easy access and retrieval. Some of the most preferred databases include MS SQL servers, Sybase, Oracle and IBM DB@ among others. You should however choose a system that can work with your current setup and PC environment.
4. Reporting Tools: Reporting is one of the key features and functions of a CMMS software. You should therefore capitalize on choosing a system with great reporting features and capabilities. The software should allow you to filter, sort, and even get report previews before printing them. Aside from this, the system should make it possible to export to a spreadsheet or word processing programs, email, or even publish on websites. It would also be best if you can find a package that supports custom reports.
5. Security: With the system handling all types of company information and data, the package should provide multilevel security layers to protect both private and sensitive data. Some of the best computerized maintenance management systems on the market provide security layers where clearance categorizes users. This means employees can only access and retrieve data they are allowed to see, while administrators and managers have a higher level access. A good system should be capable of maintaining an audit trail log for improved security as well.
These are some of the most important features to look for when shopping for a maintenance management software. As long as the software is compatible with your systems, affordable, and efficient, you can then move forwards with the required acquisition processes.